Thursday, February 24, 2011

Tues., Feb. 22nd - Court: and the verdict is...

Well, our trip is divided into three parts and today ended the first part. Today was court, but first we had to pack up all our stuff and check out of our hotel. We then went straight to the courthouse where I was briefed by the court interpreter. I was told that by the time we get to this stage, it's all just a formality - WRONG! I endured two and a half hours of interrogation - mostly around being Baptist! Somehow the judge thought that Baptists were some kind of cult and that I would isolate Max from society. I was caught very off guard and didn't handle it as well as I wish I had, but I was honest. No less than ten times during the hearing the judge said that Max had Down Syndrome and asked me if I had "thought it through." How do you answer "yes" ten different ways and stay respectful?! Especially when it's a dumb question - especially this late in the process! The only part that really bothered me and I had to bite my tongue was when she said that when a mother gives birth to a DS child she accepts this as her fate, but to adopt... AHHHH I wanted to yell, "his mother didn't accept this as her fate - she threw him away as damaged goods!" I calmly responded by saying "that's the beauty of this - it's a choice. I'm choosing to love and care for Maxim forever." She didn't like that answer, but I'm not sure she would have liked any answer! After a big discussion between the judge and the orphanage director (who is also a doctor), the judge heard the rest of the testimony. The prosecutor, who was there representing Max, was supposed to cross examine me, but she said that she didn't have any questions or concerns. After deliberation, the judge entered the court room and said "congratulations....". I'm not sure I heard much after that. I do remember not being able to hold the tears in and everyone in the court room (except the judge) laughing at me. After that, I got checked into the new hotel, we had a great lunch of traditional Russian pancakes (crepes), went grocery shopping, and I got to see my boy! My son! I was so excited that I forgot to take pictures! That upsets me, but there is nothing I can do about it now. :-( Today's visit is a memory! We said a sad good-bye to our friend/interpreter, Katia, and came to the hotel where we are settled in. The verdict is in - Maxim Alexeovich Smirnoff, as of March 5, 2011 will be officially Maxim Alexey Stickley!

2 comments:

  1. YAY!!! Congratulations!!! So happy for you! Can't wait to follow your next adventure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Praise God, Maxim is coming home:):):)

    ReplyDelete