Monday, February 21, 2011

Fri., Feb. 18th-The Tale of a Threatening Modern Day Hobo!

This morning went much better! Got everything packed up, ran like fifty million errands - 2 banks since money is kinda necessary in Russia, Sears to get new boots since there is like 4 feet of snow and it's -20 there right now, and lunch at one of my favorite places - Chic-fil-A! before hopping on the plane. Got a wonderful phone call from the social worker during lunch telling me that she found a plane ticket for Max for a quarter the price that the airline quoted me. I booked it between bites - gives a whole new meaning to saving money while eating out! Then the challenge began. Three suitcases to be checked, one carseat/stroller to be checked at the gate, three carry ons, and only four hands! So, here we go - one carry on strapped to back, and two carry ons ride in the stroller. Annie pulling one suitcase and pushing the stroller while I pull the two oversized suitcases. We looked like a couple of modern day hobos! We made it to the gate at Dulles with no problems. Got our boarding passes and checked our luggage. Something told me that this went too smoothly. So, when I checked my stubs, they had only checked us to Paris. When I let them know of their mistake, they said that there was nothing that they could do and that it would have to be "straightened out" when we land. I'm sure that "straightened out" means that Annie and I will have to do our hobo routine again through the airport in Paris! I'm sure that his will bring a story for tomorrow! But, today's story doesn't end here. We then go through security. I'm thinking I'm good to go - we've done this before. I placed everything very confidently in the bins and Annie and I walk through the detector. No alarm beeps so everything seems fine, but then I'm pulled aside. A distinguished gentleman in a uniform pulled me aside and informed me that "there's a problem...we have to confiscate one of your items." Now, I have an aerosole can of mousse in my suitcase that could easily be considered an explosive, a computer and several other electronic devices that could be used to interfere with air signals, and a number of sharp objects that could be used as weapons, but the US TSA somehow decided that Max's 5oz bottle of Finding Nemo bubbles was a threat to international security! At that point, I asked the officer the only question that in my bewilderment I could muster the words - "How in the world can you stand there and tell me that you are confiscating bubbles and keep a straight face?!" Once I stopped laughing I told him to have a great day and to be careful - bubbles spill easily! lol Staoy tuned for tomorrow's story - Modern Day Hobos with Luggage Spotted in Paris! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment