Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tues., May 24th - You're pulling my leg...

Wow - it has been two months! I was quite spoiled in Russia by the high speed wireless internet. Now that I'm home, I only have dial-up. So, I have updates, however, they haven't make it into the computer. Rather than bore you with two months worth of daily updates (like any of us have time to read that much!), I'll simply do one update and then keep everybody current from here forward.

First, I want to explain the delays. I became very sick when we got home from Russia. I ended up fighting pneumonia for over a month, and then bronchitis and a horrible cough for over a week. Four antibiotics and a heavy duty cough syrup later, I am finally able to maintain a normal schedule. Up until now, I have worked and take care of the kids - that's it! I am now surrounded by laundry and dust, but it was worth it to invest what little energy I had into my kids. God has a way of allowing us to be slowed down, especially during the times when we think we should be going the fastest. Anyway, that is the biggest reason for the delay in updates.

Now to the imoportant stuff - Annie, Max, and I got home on Satuday, March 19th. Max was not much more than a manaquin at that point. He didn't eat, didn't drink, didn't go to the bathroom (probably for the previous two reasons), didn't babble, ... I could go on and on. I think he was only ever sponge bathed because he was absolutely terrified of the bathtub, which is now one of his favorite places to be. He acted as if he had never seen his feet before and he was hypersensitive to them being touched. He also didn't know that he had hair. At one point he accidentally pulled is own hair until it hurt - the look on his face was priceless!

Keep in mind, we took this little boy from everything he had ever known. His life basically consisted of the same restrictions that we put on our kids when they are sick, but without the nurturing. He spent his days in the orphanage, usually in three layers of blanket sleepers, on a soft diet of porridge and a strict schedule. His living conditions, as well as his diet, were both very bland.

Then these two strange people came along and we suddenly threw him into a world of "firsts". We put him in street clothes (a rarity in the orphanage), put him in a snow suit and coat, hat, boots, mittens (none of which he had ever had on), strapped him in a carseat, strapped that carseat in a car, took off at 55mph, strapped the carseat in a train, went to a strange apartment, was traumatized by a bath, and then put in a strange bed.

Now, well, let's see... he tries to dress himself, laughes, loves his bath, loves music and playing on the piano, laughes, tries to talk (is doing really well with mumma, hair, bye-bye, and mocking sounds), cruises around furniture and is trying to get up the courage to let go, laughes, oh, and did I mention that he laughes? lol He is such a happy baby and fits so well into our family. He sleeps in the car, enjoys music, and gets really excited when we go to church! I am so blessed!!!

Medically, Max is doing well, too. He was quite malnourished when we got home. He has gained about 8lbs, has completed his OT and Speech evals (still waiting on physical therapy and eye appointment), had perfect bloodwork, and the hole in heart grew closed. God is the healer of broken hearts in all ways!!!

So, as you can tell, life is just one blessing after another! Not just with Max, but Annie is fantastic, too. She is so special - I don't deserve her! Easter Sunday, Annie spent most of the day hopping around on one foot. I asked "what are you doing goofball?" Here's how the conversation went:
Annie: Practicing.
Mum: Forrr???
Annie: Well, you know how we were talking yesterday about donating our hair to Locks for Love...well, I was thinking. There have to be kids out there that don't have any legs and if I donate one of my legs and use a prosthesis then another kid could have my leg and use a prosthesis and that would be one less kid in a wheelchair.

Oh, her heart! Traveling to the other side of the world to what once was the most feared place on earth and bringing home a baby isn't enough - she wants to donate her limbs! She is such a testimony of faith and love, and I am daily challenged to live up to the maturity of her heart! I am so blessed!

Well, this is it in the nutshell. Feel free to ask questions. I have been blessed to be able to share our testimony with several different church groups. This is always good for me - it reminds me of who is in control, where we've come from, and how blessed we truly are. I am the luckiest mum in the world!

1 comment:

  1. praising our Healer for choosing to close the hole in Max's heart. also for the awesome, giving nature of your daughter's heart (practicing to donate a leg - WOW).

    ReplyDelete